Saturday, March 31, 2007

18. Terror's Cradle by Duncan Kyle

Terror's Cradle cover pictureI picked this one up for 50 cents at a bookstore on St. Catherine. I have always considered Duncan Kyle the poor man's Desmond Bagley. Both are Scottish and both wrote succesful solid, manly thrillers in the 60s and 70s. I think I should probably give Kyle a little more credit. He just didn't have the same publishing clout as Bagley, whose books are produced in nice consistent thematic runs, so they look really cool on your shelf. But Kyle is good, competent. Normal, british-tough, realistic men getting caught up in dangerous situations.

Terror's Cradle stars journalist John Sellers who gets caught up in a spy game when he goes after his missing co-worker and unrequited love. There is action and intrigue in Vegas, Gothenberg and finally the Shetland Islands. Good stuff.

4 comments:

Jason L said...

Yeah, Duncan Kyle never really broke through like Bagley and I would say they were both overshadowed by Alistair Maclean.

I love the element of being out in the wilds of some place and having to outsmart the baddies whilst fermenting a budding relationship with the daughter of your employer.

Castaway said...

Man, you are the king of the used bookstore finds. I admire that reusing impulse, although I find that I am exercising mine at the library...

I probably shouldn't be confessing same, but I used to love Alistair Maclean's stuff... maybe I'd like Kyle's work?..?

Anyways, I have to say that reading your comments cracked me up Ltvlgr. You mean you haven't -- yet?

Castaway said...

...forgot to say, DUDE! You are on a serious tear. You'll have 50 cracked by July!

OlmanFeelyus said...

castaway, I think you might enjoy Duncan Kyle. Check out Raft of Swords, which starts out in 70's Vancouver (unlike one you or I ever knew).

But I would even more strongly recommend Desmond Bagley. He's a real favorite of mine. High Citadel shows up used from time to time.