Friday, February 03, 2012

3. The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins

The Friends of Eddie Coyle definitely lives up to its reputation as a classic.  It's the story of a lower-echelon mafia guy juggling a mix of gun-running and informing while trying to navigate his way between the law and his colleagues in crime.  It's told almost entirely in dialogue, though the crisp, intense bank robberies are narrated.  It's the kind of book you should really try to read without a lot of breaks.  Due to the dialogue and the lack of clear identification of some of the speakers at the beginning part of the book, the reader can get a bit lost (or at least this distracted reader).  But once you start to grasp the overall form of the narrative, the story flows forward and you can't stop turning the pages.  This is a dark, realistic and gripping read.  Strongly recommended.  I am looking forward to checking out the movie now.

1 comment:

J.P. G. said...

I'm mid 40's, blue collar, Italian/Irish from East Boston and even I had trouble following the dialogue at first. What I did was read it out loud and then the conversations made perfect sense to me (a little trick for the readers ;-). Also, I loved the book and film so much that I produced and starred in this online tribute to The Friends of Eddie Coyle". I welcome comments on the videos themselves. Enjoy!
"The Friends Of Eddie Coyle Tribute Project"