Monday, July 20, 2026

33. The Long Masquerade by Madeline Brent

A few years ago, Rennaissance, a chain of thrift stores that I think supports some charity, opened up a books-only store on St-Denis.  It has a very small english section and like so many thrift stores, they prioritize trade paperbacks and big names, but every now and then you can find an actual decent book there, so I do very much appreciate its existence.  I was shopping for the latest Hunger Games book for my daughter and popped in and found The Long Masquerade.  The cover is clearly targetting a female audience, but I had my suspicions (the Fontana imprint was a big clue) and the little I read of the back blurb suggested there may be as much adventure as romance in this one.

It turns out that Madeline Brent is the pseudonym for Peter O'Donnel, best known for the Modesty Blaise comic strip (and later books) series.  I discovered this after having finished the book but suspected I was reading a male author.  This really isn't a gothic romance though it starts out very much in that vein, as 18 year-old Catherine Delaney is set to marry the much older and wealthier Oliver Foy. She isn't ready for this major life change, but already has a courageous and stoic character.  Her biggest worry is that she won't be able to continue swimming with her dead nannie's husband, Daniel Choong, but Foy seems really nice at first and says he has always admired her from afar and won't try and change her too much.

The plot thickens before her marriage when she stumbles upon the mysterious adventurer Chad Lockhart, who it turns out is the sworn enemy of Daniel Choong from some mysterious past sin. The plot continues to thicken in this book to the point where I don't know where to leave off and avoid spoilers.  I think you can all guess that of course her husband turns out to be a total monster, as she brutally learns on her honeymoon.  Can she save her self from her abusive husband?  Will she learn why her beloved Daniel has a man pursuing him?  A lot goes on in his book and it is all somewhat unbelievable, but still very fun.  I enjoyed that Brent does keep suspense going, but never artifically draws it out, so when something needs to be told to avoid misintepreration, the characters just tell it.  The ending is full-on action and violence, with a nice dashing of romance, all of which I enjoyed.  

I won't seek any of his other romantic adventures out, as they are a bit too cozy (you kind of know it will all work out and every one is just so nice an accepting), but I won't complain if I am stuck with one in the future.



No comments: