Tuesday, April 18, 2023

40. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Lives up to the hype.  Masterly crafted.  I teared up.  My only complaint is that there is only the briefest mention of the work on the estate.  I would have much appreciated a few chapters on management of the fields and gamekeeping as well as Mr. Darcy's relations with his tenants which had earned him such a good reputation.  Otherwised, no notes.  I may try to watch the 1995 BBC mini-series which seems to be the general consensus for the best adaptation.

1 comment:

Kate M. said...

Austen is great – all six of her novels are worth reading – but she's not very interested in the servants' world. I think the only time any servant speaks up is the few comments from Darcy's housekeeper, and a brief exchange a character has with a manservant in Sense and Sensibility. Other than that, they're invisible.