Tuesday, July 28, 2026

36. Seven Men of Gascony by R.F. Delderfield

Delderfield is just so darned readable.  I've had Seven Men of Gascony on my shelf for quite a while.  The cover does little for me.  I'm just not a fan of the Napoleonic era, though not sure why.  The aesthetics?  The horribly confusing mess that is European politics at the time?  So I was putting it off, but it made at the near bottom of my vacation grind pile and I'm glad it did.

It's Delderfield retelling the Napoleonic campaigns from the perspective of the front row soldiers, specifically the Voltigeurs who were marksman responsible for holding the frontmost point in the place of battle.  The book is framed by an old veteran living alone in a small town in 1840 when Napoleon dies.  When he hears the news, he reaches for an old pile of sketches, which launch us back to 1809 when a young artistically-talented Gabriel, after his adoptive mother dies, volunteers for the French army.  He meets his fellow soldiers (the six other men), and more abruptly their dog, Fouché, when he tries to steal some of their food.  The sergeant is Jean, a grizzled vet and totally loyal to Bonaparte.  The 5 others are Nicholas the cynical ex-teacher, Louis the horse whisperer, Dominique the simple fiddler, Claude the young and handsome and Manny the Jewish ex-circus performer.  Following along is the camp cantinière, Carla and her daughter Nicholette, the latter whom figures significantly in the overarching storyline.

Seven Men of Gascony reminded me somewhat of the Black Company books.  The language is richer and more complete but otherwise in form it is basically a series of vignettes within each significant campaign.  As I say above, it is very readable.  I only got a bit confused when Delderfield gets into the historical and military specifics, but since the bulk is from the soldiers' perspective, that was very rare.  Other than entertainment, one of the important functions of historical fiction is to impart the history via those who were living it and I definitely learned some broad strokes of this period in Europe.  

It loses its steam somewhat as it approaches the end. This is not so much because of the writing but because it takes place in the retreat from Moscow and this just rough and depressing, no matter how much Delderfield's schoolboy enthusiasm for historical war makes it seem somehow bearable.  It's just rough though Nicholette's narrative (also very rough) keeps you turning the pages.  The climax is the battle of Waterloo and I think this would have been more effective if you had already studied it as the military significance (other than the final blow of Napoleon's empire), kind of went over my head.

Ultimately, the book is about friendship and camarderie in the world of war and it is a very effective and  enjoyable one.


No comments: