These books stand out for two reasons (at least the two that I have read). First is that they feature esoteric British legal knowledge. You actually learn about English tax law (I think, as much of it I couldn't fully understand) and it's a bit off-putting for non-lawyer at first, but soon becomes integrated into the narrative in a way that is kind of fun. She also has excerpts from I believe fictional travel guide for Lincoln's Inn lawyers (or barristers or whatever) specifically where she lays out the highlights of each of the various Channel Islands that are visited (and heavily featured in the plot).
The second is that much of the action is told in an indirect or epistolary manner (as was the case in the first book). The main action is by a young lawyer who accidentally gets caught up in a pursuit/protection of a client and narrates his adventures via telexes sent back to London. Tamar also has conversations with people where they narrate what happens to them. Little of the actual action happens at the point where you are reading. It's odd but doesn't distract or distance from the narrative somehow.
The story here involves a group of trustees who have moved a bunch of money in a trust out of England for tax reasons and are now trying to figure out how to free up the money for the intent of the original trust. The wrinkle is that, from what I could understand, because of some missing paperwork, the money would go to the natural heirs rather than the intended benficients of the trust or something. It sounds boring and taxey which it is but the trustees themselves are a colourful group of people and they keep getting murdered. Much of the book takes place on one Channel Island after another, which is interesting, as we learn more about the trustees' pasts and try and link it together. As usual, I was a bit lost on the mystery but enjoyed the ride.



No comments:
Post a Comment