Tuesday, November 30, 2010

65. The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin


I got The Stepford Wives from meezly's finished book pile. It is a classic and as meezly pointed out a quick and entertaining read.

Her review does a better job than I can, so I'll let you read it. I would just add that I was a bit disappointed in the ending. It's not that it wasn't well crafted. It's just that with the book having such a strong impact in our popular culture, I basically already knew the entire premise. The intrigue in the book is the slow and subtle revealing of what is actually going on. But it never specifically reveals in any detail how the wives are being changed. This works well in that it leaves it up to our imagination and makes for a disturbing read. There are many interesting hints, but I was hoping for some greater reveal and never got it. Still, it's a tight and effective thriller with some good social commentary. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go look at real estate prices in Stepford...

6 comments:

Nick Jones (Louis XIV, the Sun King) said...

Unless I'm very much mistaken I reckon that there's a Harry Bennett cover!

OlmanFeelyus said...

Yes, I think you are correct. I'll see if there is any attribution when I get home (highly doubtful). Shame on me for not taking a moment to think it through. Have I learned nothing from your blog! Maybe we should keep this one.

Nick Jones (Louis XIV, the Sun King) said...

Yep, it is: Harry's son Tom identifies it as one of Harry's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/16681269@N08/4675974083/

OlmanFeelyus said...

Thus revealing that the picture in my blog here is not an image of the actual book I read (mine doesn't have those two diagonal folds). I was too busy to bring it to work and scan it.

Nick Jones (Louis XIV, the Sun King) said...

Oh, yeah, it's the same pic. Whoops. Sorry about that. Ah well. I do that all the time myself. I figure book covers are fair game -- I don't mind if other folks 'borrow' the ones on my blog.

OlmanFeelyus said...

Ha ha, no need to apologize. I think it's a treat for our thousands of readers (or is it millions now) to get a little peak behind the curtain and see what really goes in with these "blogs" that must seem so magical to them.